The perfect New York trip.

When my alarm went off at 8:00 and I knew I had to get out of bed by 8:30 since we were going to New York City, I felt frustrated because before anything, I needed to do more homework. I completed some of it, then woke up my brother so he could get ready. Next my younger brother woke up. It was my 2 brothers & him, the best friend. Of course he would go with us. All of us got along so well & always had fun.

The plan was for him to head over around 9:50 to drive all of us to the New Jersey transit station to catch the 10:37 train to NYC. I was in a good mood because I’ve been looking forward to this day for a few weeks.

I got a text around 9:00 that morning from him. Rather than 9:50, he would be here 9:55. That’s no big deal, but if he is too late, I’m blamed. It seems it’s MY fault if he arrives even five minutes late. My brothers never have the guts to point this out to him, rather it’s my doing. We all got ready for our eventful day with the sun shining. It was such a perfect day.

He came around almost 10:00. The other day I sent him a picture of my “car,” which was a corvette, so when he saw a Pontiac Bonneville parked on the street, he questioned me. He talked about how nice my corvette looked. These types of jokes were always thrown my way and I loved it. He told a quick story, and delighted us all with laughs and smiles. Those were his specialty, the stories. The way he told them was so funny that it was almost impossible not to laugh.

After the story, we headed to his car. We would need to get to the station fast in order to make the train. Even though it wasn’t too late, we needed to pick up the pace. He told another funny tale on the way & the car was filled with happiness and laughter, at that moment of course. The day would be a getaway from normalcy to enjoy ourselves without worrying about the next day or the day after. It was a nice atmosphere to be in.

When we got there, the parking was limited. After we found a spot, we hurried to buy our tickets to catch the train. Of course he had to do many things before he met us downstairs to use the ticket machine. I waited for him though. As we reached the stairs, his glasses fell from his hand and flew down at least four flights of stairs. The word “fuck” was yelled and we hurried down to see the damage. To our amazement, the glasses were fine. They were in perfect condition.

We made the train with at least five minutes to spare. I loved when all of us talked. We all knew what to say to make the other one involved in the conversation. But, eventually as the train started up, he no longer spoke. His train approach was to stare out the window & think. He thinks too much, but I can’t say much because I do the same. As my two brothers spoke to one another, they tried to include me, but sometimes when he gets quiet so do I. I can’t really tell you why, it’s just how it is. I talked a little bit, but I let them talk mostly. When we finally reached our stop, we headed to the bathroom and then to got some lunch.

I’ve been counting calories lately and when I told him, he kept harassing me in terms of my meal choice, a pretzel. Meanwhile, my older brother consumed two decently large slices of cheese pizza and yet he said not a word to him. His reasoning was “he doesn’t care.” That was true, but you could point out that the pizza had way more calories than a damn pretzel!

After that whole spiel, we made our way to the boat to take us to Ellis Island. We made reservations for 2:00 & it was getting late and my brother started to panic. It turned out that our timing was perfect. We had to go through this security check, just like in an airport. My younger brother had to throw out his box cutter, which he brought in case there were any mysterious people late at night. We all laughed at him as he threw it in the garbage before we were checked.

The boat ride was pretty interesting & filled with many foreign people all around the world. There were numerous languages spoken all around us. But, the sun was shining on us four. The sweat began to form a little bit on his forehead, but the way his eyes squinted at me overtook everything. I didn’t care. He’s not my boyfriend anyway, I’m just saying.

The tour we went on at Ellis Island was filled with information about the immigrants, the island itself, pictures & displays. At first, us four looked bored to the max, but as the tour progressed, the information that emerged from the woman’s mouth became more interesting. We all learned valuable information that we can tell others.

After the tour, the time struck 3:55 & our ride back was scheduled at 4:40, so we looked around the gift shop. This was where he repeated over & over that I should buy this ranger-type hat for my dad. I told him over & over again that HE should purchase it. We joked, laughed and smiled. I LOVED those moments during the trip. They were my favorite.

We walked toward the boat around 4:20 to see the line very long. But, the dynamic changed when we got on the boat. We climbed to the top, but were separated. It was him & I and my younger brother & other brother sitting together. There were many pictures taken all around us. I was depressed because half the day was over. He remarked that it was only 5:00 & we still had about 8 hours more together. That’s all good & fun, but that’s not how I felt. We sat there quiet, me observing my surroundings & him thinking.

After we left the boat, he called this arabic book store he wanted to visit to purchase books. It turned out that they weren’t open. So, we went on our way to the World Trade Center.

This was the most depressing part of our trip. We saw where the twin towers once were. It was devastating to think that so many people lost their lives that day all because their building was crashed into by airplanes. I can’t even imagine how that must have felt.

I wanted to stand there & absorb the atmosphere, feel all the emotions that ran through the family members who lost their loved one’s body, feel the day. Everything. I tried to sniff the scent in the air that consumed that whole day.

But, we needed to move on, go & eat because our show was at 8:45 and it was 5:30 already. We would need to get on the subway to arrive at Moonstruck Diner. Around 6:15, as we walked down the street, and found the place.

At dinner, he teased me when I ordered a triple decker turkey club sandwich. I guess it didn’t matter that I hadn’t eaten anything since 7 hours prior to that. Nope. He poked fun about the amount of calories I was about to consume. I guess that’s the down side to telling him I was counting calories. But, even so, the smiles emerged from his mouth and I could NEVER take that away, especially on a day like this day.

Eventually, we paid, used the bathroom and walked back to the subway to our final destination, Dangerfield’s comedy club. I had the tickets, I made the reservations, I had everything taken care of. The only request of the club was for everyone to buy two drinks. I was most nervous about this part for him because he can’t really drink anything but water otherwise it bothers his stomach. When we received the menu, the most peculiar thing about it was there weren’t any prices for the alcoholic beverages & tea was $5.50. If that was that price, how much would it be for a strawberry daquiri. I’m not a big drinker anyway and I’m talking about juice as well. So when it dawned on me I had to drink two beverages, I wasn’t happy.

First, I ordered a tea. Him, black coffee; brother, beer; younger brother,soda. We had our first round covered. He ended up loving the coffee and ordered another one. To my surprise, he was okay, which I was so glad because that was THE last thing I wanted: to be taking care of him while we were suppose to be enjoying ourselves. The only thing was he drank about 3 waters because he was so thirsty. It was such a funny sight to see!

The show started around 8:50 or so with the host who right off the bat was funny. It’s a good thing we weren’t assigned seats in the front  because those people were busted on pretty badly. They were asked their profession & some were made fun by the way they answered. One of the hosts first words were, “We are here to enjoy tonight and not worry about all that other stuff going on in life or work.” I looked at him because he’s such a worrier who HATES his job, so I wanted him to more so relax!

There were 7 men. Various acts. Funny in their own way. We laughed, he laughed so hard that at one point, he was crying. It was such a great line-up. If I tried to explain the jokes to you, you would look at me in a dumbfounded expression, so I won’t recount them. Just note that they were hilarious.

The show ran from 850-1125 or so. Our bill ended up being $72.00. It was $12.50 for the strawberry daiquiri I bought. $12.50!!! I was not the happiest girl in the world when I looked at that. But, I must say, it was worth it. We hurried out in order to caught the 12 something train back to the original station. We found out that there wouldn’t be a train until 1:22, so we had no choice but to sit and wait in the station. During this time, we talked about the show & all the funny moments. Again, we all enjoyed one another along with the show.

We were all so tired as we sat in waiting room. But, he kept laughing to himself about the show, which I enjoyed because he’s usually in a serious mood because his current work situation. I would say his laughter was one of the BEST parts about our whole trip because he never takes time out to relax & enjoy life. He’s always so worried about everything and for him to just sit there, laugh and shake his head back & forth thinking about the show was the icing on the cake. And I truly believe that.

On the ride home, we all zoned in & out. We couldn’t miss our stop though. We drove home around 3:00 & there was no one on the road.

Our trip was over at 3:20 a.m. when we arrived home. The day was over & I felt as if I had nothing to look forward to. After all, my brother was going back to TN in 3 days & there was nothing ahead except homework. I felt depressed.

He would need to eat when he got home & couldn’t go to bed until 6:15, meanwhile all of us crashed as soon as we got in the house.

This was one week ago today, March 18th. It was such a lovely day that I didn’t want it to end. At this time last week, we were riding the subway to the station. I would re-live this day over & over again. It was such a perfect setting. Nothing went wrong & we all got along so well. No fights, arguments. And it was one day that I could say he was happy and I mean REALLY happy. And that made ME a happy girl to know that I was the cause of happiness on this day!

❤ Hope Kumor


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s