“My boyfriend broke up with me – on Valentine’s Day,” my co-worker divulged to me.
My response was what a dick. When she explained how he just wasn’t ready for a relationship, my next instinct was to say something like, “he probably wasn’t the guy for you.” But, I didn’t because I remember when I got dumped. There are some things you just don’t say to someone whose been dumped.
- There are plenty more fish in the sea. This is a phrase you do not want to hear this because well, it doesn’t make the break-up any better. While there are plenty more men out there, there are some things you keep to yourself.
- It will get better. Eventually, the pain will subside, but again, if you just got dumped, hearing this will not make the situation better.
- Give it time. Ugh, or maybe he’ll come around, right? Sorry, but if you’ve been broken up with, it was for a reason. Please stop talking, okay?
- You deserve better. Okay, this isn’t always true. There are some cases where maybe he thought he was ready, but he really weren’t. If he was respectful and told you the truth, this phrase doesn’t need to be said.
- Guys suck! Well, not all guys suck. While some guys are assholes, this does not pertain to all guys, so please retract this statement.
- Join tinder! If you’re looking for a booty call – after you’ve been dumped – sure, try Tinder. But, this isn’t the best advice to take considering you probably don’t want to date for a long, long time.
- He’ll regret it. Maybe, or maybe not? You’ll never know, but just try to focus on other activities instead.
- It wasn’t meant to be. For goodness sake, you don’t know that, so why say it? Maybe he just wasn’t ready.
- Hang in there! Yeah, I’ll be sure to note that on my calendar.
- I never liked him anyway. Really? Did you really know him enough to make that assumption? Ugh, please stop.